Slovenian EU Council Presidency: Priorities in education and research
On 1 July 2021, Slovenia took over the Presidency of the Council of the European Union under the motto ´Together.Resilient.Europe.` As the last partner of the trio Germany-Portugal-Slovenia, the country will complete the initiatives jointly set by the Council Presidency.
In addition to addressing the Covid-19 pandemic and promoting the resilience of the EU, the Multiannual Financial Framework and topics such as the Conference on the Future of Europe, Green EU, Migration and Security, Stability in the Neighbourhood, Rule of Law and EU Enlargement, several projects in the field of education and research are also on the agenda until the end of the Slovenian Presidency on 31 December.
The priorities of the Slovenian EU Presidency in the field of research and education include:
- Strengthening higher education (e. g. further development of the European Higher Education Initiative, integration of the European Education Area with the EU Research Area)
- Further development of digitisation to implement the Action Plan for Digital Education
- Artificial intelligence
- Strengthening adult learning after the expiry of the renewed Agenda for Adult Learning (link) in the context of lifelong learning
- Governance for the new Strategic European Framework for Education Cooperation and beyond (2021-2030) (Link)
- Adoption of the Pact on Research and Innovation by the end of the year (link) and debates on the implementation of the European Research Area (ERA) (link)
- Council response to the new global approach to research and innovation presented by the EU Commission in May 2021 (Link)
- Council response to the agenda on research and innovation in the Western Balkans (Link)