More than 400 participants took part in the Africa-Europe conference on higher education collaboration in Brussels on 25 October 2019. On this page, you will find an overview of all conference outcomes: the speakers' presentations, the recommendations produced by each workshop as well as the full event report.
Conference delegates produced sector-specific policy recommendations on how to further develop the chapter "Investing in people by investing in education and skills" of the Africa-Europe Alliance, first announced by Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker in September 2018. Among the key recommendations for the future of European-African collaboration in higher education, delegates expressed the need for
- increased cooperation with the private sector,
- continuous professional development for academic staff,
- the promotion of a Pan-African Quality Assurance and Accreditation Framework,
- stronger linkages between higher education and Technical and Vocational Education and Training,
- the strengthening of transnational educational partnerships,
- a comprehensive approach to refugee integration in tertiary education.
Sector-specific policy recommendations:
More detailed sector-specific recommendations from the thematic workshops will be made available on the conference website in a few weeks time.
The web-streamed conference opening and closing session are still accessible here :
Presentations of thematic sessions: